Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My first dog: Jupiter.

My family has always had animals. Our first family pet was a dog named Midnight but this is not his story. This is the story of my first personal "I picked him out myself' dog Jupiter.

My sister Cathy had a friend named Meg that she used to get high with (not that I knew it at the time. I was oblivious to such things). Meg's dog had had puppies and I was allowed to play with them. One puppy in particular I just fell in love with and I decided he had to be mine. Now as innocent as I was in some ways I was a a master manipulator and knew just how to get my mother to agree to my having a puppy.
My father had died only a few months ago and Midnight pined for him until he passed away as well. Mom was kind of relieved because Middy (or Beef as we actually called him) was a very bad dog always escaping and getting the bitches in the neighborhood pregnant, so she was kind of glad to be rid of the old dog.
I turned on the water works a talent I had at the time, and asked mom if I could have the puppy because we now had a huge fence around the back yard and wouldn't have to worry about him getting loose and he was so cute, besides NOW THAT I WAS FATHERLESS I NEEDED SOMETHING TO LOVE. Yes I actually used my dead father against my Mom to get my puppy. Yes I was an evil little fucker. Well Mom relented after telling me no for a few days and then I finally told Meg's mom that I had permission to take my puppy home and sneaking Jupiter into my closet for a day. Once she saw him she melted (as I knew she would) and let me keep him (and I was told they would not take the puppy back).
I adored Jupiter and we were constant companions for about a week, then the unthinkable happened. My friend Tim came over to swim in our above ground pool with me and left the back gate open. Jupiter ran out while I wasn't looking and all I really remember is the squeal of tires. I ran out to the front of the house and a car was on my lawn and my puppy was dead in the street. The lady had tried to swerve to miss him but couldn't react in time and I lost a little bit of my youth that day. In the space of 4 months I had lost my dad and 2 dogs. (damn it I'm crying now)

4 comments:

  1. Was Jupiter before or after Nipper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moley! I forgot we called him Nipper to. Mom used to call him Juniper instead of Jupiter and it got shortened to Nipper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days I feel like you editor. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Some days I feel like you editor. ;-)"
    Your, your editor Otter. :P

    ReplyDelete