Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Commentary 2: Learning to shut up, stop expecting others to help and learning to listen.

One of the biggest waists of my time has been procrastination. I am the king of putting it off. It has created huge problems for me and my loved ones for years and I’m really deeply sorry, unfortunately the damage is done.

Now the question is “Can a man in his mid to late 40’s learn from his mistakes and still leave a positive mark on the lives of those he lives?”
I say yes, living to be an example is the way I choose to do it. In this moment of Truth I’ll attempt to explain how to do it and why you should learn from my mistakes.

I have a tendency to be a bit arrogant it seems. I never saw it in myself but I’ve had enough people tell me it that I had to take a serious look at my attitude. I had to first stop listening to the voices in my head that were telling me there was nothing wrong with the way I act and react to people. I have always had the ability to see the “just and correct” way of seeing any situation and have had trouble with the fact that others didn’t always see my way the “obvious” way, and just writing that is a big clue to what I stared to see.

I’m a very opinionated person but was always told to keep my opinions to myself by my family. I can understand as when I was a kid I would just walk up to people and tell them everything I saw about them and being an intuitive that was often far too much. So when I was old enough to express my opinions I would do so, not aggressively but pointedly. I wasn’t paying attention to how others reacted to me. That was my folly.

So without making myself go into an emotional downspin lets get on with what I’m doing. Procrastination is a terrible thing and so is arrogance, add the two together and you have a recipe for disaster. As bad as my troubles have been in the physical world they are mirrored by the lack of movement in the spiritual realms.

You see I was fully buying into the old adage “When you are ready a teacher will come”.  I rather impatiently waited for decades after Annabelle left my life thinking was unworthy of a teacher. It’s only recently that the vale has been lifted from my eyes. Our teachers are not typically a person or even one spirit, so I had to swallow my arrogance and pride and shut up. I had to listen to everything around me and learn how to learn all over again. The fact that this blog is happening is a part of that relearning process. I spent years wanting to forget my past, as a way of erasing my failures; I even considered changing my name a few times but never really had the balls to go through with it because deep down inside I knew it wouldn’t change anything. Now I’m relearning who I really was and I’m learning to integrate that person into who I am now. The process kind of sucks as I have to dredge up so much I would rather forget but growth and birth both require pain.

So here’s what I’ve learned so far:
1)      Shut up and listen to those around you. It’s important to know what everyone’s point of view is even if you know them to be wrong. It allows you to see every aspect of life and aids in your dealing with all kinds of people.
2)      There is no one person who will teach you all things and the process of learning can be a real bitch, but trying to relearn it all is even worse. Save yourselves the trouble. Open your mind and heart to everyone and everything. Learn as much as you can about every subject never being content to rest. Procrastination is a killer of life.
3)      Listen to those who you think are the most unworthy of your attention. They have some of the best insights, besides we are all one in the universal sense. We are all touched by the divine and you should respect everyone for that fact alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment